Lynx to take consumers out of this world
Lynx is tapping into the fervour around the Red Bull space-jump stunt with a campaign for its Lynx Apollo brand, fronted by astronaut Buzz Aldrin, which will send one fan into space.
The marketing campaign, created by Bartle Bogle Hegarty, is running across digital, PR, outdoor and TV. The media planning was undertaken by Mindshare.
The campaign will run until April and, according to Unilever, is worth at least £12.6m.
Aldrin, pilot of the historic Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon in 1969 and the second man to walk on the moon's surface, is the launch ambassador for the campaign.
Mark Aschmann, Lynx brand manager at Unilever, said: "The Lynx Apollo launch is by far our largest marketing campaign to date. Formed of several different stages, each is designed to drive consumer engagement and intrigue.
"The premise of the launch is to give a man the ultimate lead in the dating game, by giving him the chance to become an astronaut. The TV strapline sums it up with the statement, 'nothing beats an astronaut'
Details of the campaign were announced last night and include a multi-platform takeover of TV, websites, with the TV ads running until April.
The Lynx Apollo website www.lynxapollo.com has gone live, enabling consumers to enter a competition to go into space.
Part of the campaign includes a Lynx 'Space Academy' shuttle travelling to the Westfield Shopping centre in Shepherd's Bush, London.
Lynx Apollo is the first Lynx variant to run across the entire Lynx portfolio, which includes body spray, deodorant, haircare and shower products.
Four winners of the global competition will be flown to Orlando, Florida, to experience what it is like to be an astronaut.
Then, one lucky winner will secure a place to go into space in 2014.
To mark the launch of the campaign, astronauts arrived in the UK along with the replica of the Lynx SXC (Space Expedition Corporations) space shuttle, in which the winner will travel into space.
The shuttle, which weighs in at 1.5 tonnes, will be on display for the first time in the UK at Westfield White City this weekend, January 12 and 13.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London