IAB reports 2012 boom in affiliate marketing spend
Affiliate marketing is undergoing a 'boom' in the UK according to new figures, with a total investment of more than £800m last year delivering £9bn in sales.
Quidco: part of the affiliate marketing 'boom'
Research carried out by PricewaterhouseCoopers on behalf of the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) reveals that advertisers spent £814m on affiliate marketing and lead generation in 2012, with an ROI of £11 for every £1 spent.
The study shows that 3500 advertisers and 10,000 publishers are engaging in online performance marketing (OPM), which the IAB described as digital marketing's 'best-kept secret'.
IAB director of research and strategy Tim Elkington said: 'Each year [OPM] drives more than two online purchases for every UK adult and causes the equivalent of every UK person to fill out a form showing interest in a product.'
Price-comparison, voucher, loyalty and cashback sites including Comparethemarket.com, Vouchercodes.co.uk, Nectar and Quidco are the best-known examples of OPM.
The financial sector is the biggest spender on OPM, with a 45% share of the market last year, compared with retailers' 20% share; telecoms and media companies account for 10% of the market.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA