Virgin Media ends free Wi-Fi for all on the Tube
Wi-Fi on the London Underground will only be free to customers of Virgin Media, Vodafone and EE from today, as a result of deals that were announced last year.
Virgin Media: repackages Wi-Fi service on the Tube
Passengers who want to use Wi-Fi on the Tube and are not customers of one of the contributing networks can continue to access it on a pay-as-you go basis for either £2 for a day, £5 for a week or £15 for a month.
Passengers will also be able to purchase a monthly pass during February that will provide them with three months' access for the price of one, as a special offer.
However, everyone will still be able to access the free travel, entertainment and news content. Virgin Media estimates that 76% of Greater London consumers are subscribed to the service.
Virgin has emailed everyone who has signed up for the service on the London Underground link to tell them to register with their provider and move to the new service over the coming days.
Additionally, 11 more stations are moving online this week, taking the total number of connected stations up to 103. By the end of March 120 underground stations will have Wi-Fi.
The stations joining the network this week are: Gloucester Road; Highbury & Islington; Kentish Town; Great Portland Street; Hammersmith (District & Piccadilly); Tooting Bec; Tooting Broadway; Hampstead; Redbridge; and Blackhorse Road.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)