Twitter buys social TV firm Bluefin for around $70m
It's being reported that Twitter has made what is its biggest acquisition to date, outstripping that of TweetDeck, with the deal to buy social TV analytics firm Bluefin Labs, which if anyone was in any doubt, underscores the increasingly close relationship between the social network and television.
Twitter: to buy social TV analytics firm Bluefin Labs
There is no word on exactly how much Twitter is paying for Bluefin, but industry speculation is that it is spending more than $70m (£44m) based in part on the $20.5m (£13m) Twitter has raised over its four-year life from investors including Softbank and Time Warner.
The four-year-old start-up focuses on measurement of social media conversations about TV and claims to be able to quantify audience engagement in the same way that Nielsen quantifies ratings audience viewership of TV.
Twitter will be able to use the data Bluefin digs out to sell to agencies and brands looking for insight in how they are performing in social media. It will also be able to forge a deeper relationship with TV firms looking to see what shows perform well in social media.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London