Motorola revamps logo to trade off Google name
Motorola Mobility, which was acquired by Google last year, has redesigned its logo to include "a Google company" tagline underneath its own name.
Motorola: adds Google to logo
It is rumoured Motorola will relaunch the brand on 1 August on the back of an upcoming Moto X flagship handset.
The phone manufacturer is attempting to boost its brand with the updated logo following Kantar research claiming Google’s brand had helped LG regain a foothold in the UK mobile market on the back of sales of the Google-branded Nexus 4 phone.
Since completing the acquisition of Motorola in May 2012, Google has enforced drastic changes including the cutting of 4,000 jobs, which accounted for 20% of the company’s global workforce.
The global job cuts resulted in Motorola axing one third of its 15-strong
On a global level, Google is attempting to revitalise the brand by poaching Samsung’s VP of strategic marketing Brian Wallace in order to lead marketing for its Motorola division.
Motorola chief executive Dennis Woodside hopes to lead a turnaround by making Motorola products "cool" again by installing features including sensors that recognise who is in a room based on their voices.
However, some have speculated that the main reason Google acquired Motorola Mobility was to capitalise on its patents, which has allowed it to file patent claims against companies including Apple.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)