Google Earth + augmented reality = wow
LONDON - Academics at a US university are laying the foundations of a new form of digital marketing that involves augmenting Google Earth with dynamic information to create a living city.
An American Football match being played in Google Earth
Academics at the Georgia Institute of Technology have created an 'as live' version of Google Earth in which cars travel on motorways, people play in parks and shops and offices are open for business.
The technology (displayed in this video which manages to make something exciting seem rather dull) could herald a wave of new marketing opportunities for companies looking to promote their range of services.
Shopping centres, theme parks, high street shops and car manufacturers could potentially use the technology to showcase their wares in a life-like scenario.
The technology is still at an early stage but will be the subject of a thesis by academics of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Marketing & Communications Executive AF Selection Up to £25,000, Derbyshire
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)