Willy Wonka chocolates relaunch with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film tie-in
LONDON - Nestle Rowntree is to resurrect its Willy Wonka chocolate range and back it with a £5m promotional blitz to cash in on Hollywood blockbuster 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'.
Willy Wonka bars, which were axed in the UK two years ago following poor sales, will be re-introduced in three flavours: Whipple Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight, Nutty Crunch Surprise and Triple Dazzle Caramel.
The ad campaign to support the relaunch is being handled by JWT.
The range, which will be featured in the movie, will include gift products such as a cane filled with sweets, based on a prop in the film.
The Warner Bros movie, which stars Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka, is tipped to be a big family hit this summer. Nestle has been heavily involved in its production, helping to create elements such as the chocolate river in Willy Wonka's factory.
The relaunch will be supported by a golden ticket promotion, based on the competition in the film that wins Charlie and the other children a trip to the chocolate factory.
Nestle already markets the Willy Wonka range in a number of international markets, including Canada and Australia.
Warner Bros has signed 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' merchandising deals with several firms, including Penguin Books and Funrise Toy Corp.
Funrise holds the global toy licence and will develop play sets, action figures and games, while Penguin will rejacket the original novel, written by Roald Dahl.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Display Manager - Telecoms PFJ £30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, London
- Account Director - Arts Clients PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- AV Account Director (contract) PFJ £35000.00 - £43000.00 per annum, London
- Consumer Insight Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £32000 - £35000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London
- Digital Account Manager Dot-Gap £40k, Central London
- Head of Performance Dot-Gap £70k, Central London