Yahoo! lands FCUK as first Messenger advertiser
LONDON - Yahoo! UK is to open up its Messenger service to advertisers and has signed up FCUK as its first client. The high-street fashion retailer will promote its spring and summer collections through the service.
The deal, which also marks the first time FCUK has advertised online, will see Yahoo! Messenger users able to customise the service's avatars (images used to represent a person while online) by dressing them in FCUK's latest fashion collections.
The avatars appear alongside the Yahoo! Messenger text box and can be shared and viewed during a conversation on Messenger. Clicking on them will enable users to access FCUK's website, where they can buy the clothes displayed.
Darren Cairns, head of marketing for Yahoo! Messenger, said the FCUK deal was the first phase of a widening of commercial opportunities around Messenger, which is used by 5.1m unique users in Europe.
'It is the ideal way to target the "i-generation" of 16- to 34-year-olds, and for innovative brands, the potential for it linked with the avatars is huge,' he said.
French Connection said the move online was being driven by the increase of female shoppers who are driving clothing sales on the internet, which does not appear to be cannibalising high street sales.
Trevor Beattie, who is behind the FCUK brand and co-founder of Beattie McGuinness Bungay, said: "We wanted to do something that conquered uncharted territory, to do something that no one had ever done before - it's time for fcuk to conquer cyberspace."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on Marketing
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...