BlackBerry seeks to entice youth market
LONDON - Wireless-email communications brand BlackBerry is planning a range of direct marketing activities and experiential events to promote its brand beyond its core middle-management audience to a younger market.
The Research In Motion-owned brand has hired RPM to handle its experiential marketing, while Meteorite will handle direct. The appointments were made following a competitive pitch.
It is understood the appointments are linked to the launch next month of the company's first multimedia device, BlackBerry Pearl. The device disposes of the original scrolling wheel and has a slimmer look, with a built-in MP3 player and camera. It is central to RIM's strategy to broaden its appeal.
The appointments complete a review of BlackBerry's agency roster. It kicked off a review of its £4m media planning and buying account last year, eventually appointing Manning Gottlieb OMD after a head-to-head pitch against Carat.
RIM also hired Albion to handle advertising, having split with Leagas Delaney, and, in June, picked design agency Figtree to handle its pan-European branding.
More than 3m people own a BlackBerry in the UK, making it the company's biggest European market, yet the brand has traditionally been the communications device of choice among middle and upper management.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on Marketing
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...