Sony to show World Cup matches in 3D
LONDON - Sony is to use next year's World Cup to showcase its 3D television technology, signing an agreement to film as many as 25 matches in the tournament using 3D cameras.
Sony has already said that 3D will be at the centre of its home electronics marketing next year, as it launches 3D products including television sets, Blu-ray Disc players, Sony VAIO computers and 3D gaming on PlayStation 3. It has a target revenue from 3D-related products of more than one trillion yen by 2013.
The games filmed by Sony will be screened in seven cities, including London, Paris and Berlin at events Sony is called Fan Fests, hosted by Fifa. Sony will also be showcasing the technology in Sony stores.
Fujio Nishida, president of Sony Europe, said: "3D will undoubtedly transform the way we enjoy content in the living room."
Industry analysts Screen Digest is so convinced that Sony's move will drive sales that it has increased its forecast for European take-up of 3D technology, estimating that 13.6 million 3D television sets will be installed by 2013.
Sony's 3D television uses "shutter" technology, darkening one lens while the other remains transparent, rather than the polarisation technique more familiar to viewers of 3D films.
In the UK, Sky is planning to launch a 3D channel next year.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London