Asda targets overseas expansion for George brand
Asda is following in the footsteps of Tesco by seeking to pursue an aggressive overseas expansion of its own-brand clothing label through franchising partnerships.
George: Asda develops franchise partnerships to expand clothing brand overseas
Walmart-owned Asda has partnered with Azadea Group to launch its George fashion label in the Middle East, while a partnership with SandpiperCI will see the brand hit stores in Jersey and Guernsey.
The news comes a week after Tesco announced it was launching a new franchise model in an attempt to make its F&F fashion label a major global brand.
Asda said the franchise deal would pave the way for standalone George stores overseas, which it will pilot this year.
The franchise model will expand the pre-existing global presence George has, as a result of the label being sold through Walmart stores in seven countries.
The supermarket chain has experimented with standalone George stores in the UK, but closed them down in 2008 in order to focus its attention on Asda Living, which sells clothing and homeware.
Asda is putting renewed emphasis on its George brand in the UK. It redesigned the George website at the end of 2011, enabling it to showcase more content.
It is now searching for an agency to scale up the content to deliver a "more exciting customer experience".
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Account Planner Direct Recruitment Up to £50,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...