Debenhams to launch first Christmas TV campaign in six years
Debenhams is to launch a Christmas TV campaign for the first time in six years next month as its profits defy the tough economic climate.
Debenhams: Life Made Fabulous by JWT
The retailer announced in its full-year results showing that profits before tax were up 4.2% to £158.3m for the 52 weeks to 1 September, on the back of increased marketing spend in its 'Life Made Fabulous' activity.
Unlike rivals Marks & Spencer and John Lewis, Debenhams has shied away from a big-budget TV Christmas drive in recent years.
Details of the latest campaign are expected to be disclosed in the coming weeks.
Debenhams has also signed up fashion designer Markus Lupfer and model Donna Air for a childrenswear range that will launch on 26 November.
The exclusive range will be called Donna & Markus by Markus Lupfer and will comprise a collection of knitwear, sweatshirts, T-shirts and leggings for girls aged four to 14.
Debenhams will target the range at "fashion-forward mothers" who want to dress their daughters in "designs usually only spotted on the catwalks at Fashion Week".
The brand's strong performance brought it an increased market share in fashion with its "designers at Debenhams" positioning, while increasing sales of perfumes and cosmetics with brands including Chanel, Benefit and Urban Decay has also gained it market share in health and beauty, according to the retailer.
Debenhams is seeking to capitalise on its momentum by building 17 new stores across the UK over the next five years and hopes to create up to 1,700 jobs in the process.
Michael Sharp, chief executive at Debenhams, added: "We are on track to modernise 30 core stores by Christmas 2014, including Oxford Street, which will be transformed outside and inside to create a true company flagship for the brand."Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- Category Manager - Herbs, Spices & Ready Mixes McCormick Ltd £ Competitive + Benefits , Haddenham, Aylesbury