Thomson and First Choice profits beat Thomas Cook results
Thomson and First Choice owner TUI Travel has reported an 8% jump in pre-tax profits to £390m with an "outstanding performance" in the UK, a week after rival Thomas Cook posted £483m in losses.
TUI Travel: UK performance helped boost annual profits to £390m
TUI Travel said today's results showed a "record year of profit" for the year to 30 September, with strong summer 2013 bookings already in the UK, Nordics and Germany, including a significant growth in profitable market share in the UK.
Peter Long, chief executive of TUI Travel, said the company achieved outstanding results against a backdrop of "continued economic uncertainty".
Announcing the next stage in the company’s strategic development, he said: "This roadmap for growth, built on our detailed understanding of the market and robust business models, means that we are well placed to continue to deliver long-term sustainable growth, which in turn, will drive further value for both our shareholders and customers."
TUI is expected to launch multimillion-pound marketing campaigns for its Thomson and First Choice brands at the end of the year, while rival Thomas Cook is currently finalising plans for its post-Christmas push.
Last week, Marketing revealed Thomas Cook had shelved its planned post-Christmas campaign without a solid replacement lined up, although the operator claims it will be spending £5m on its end-of-year push.
Thomas Cook last week reported pre-tax losses of £485.3m for the year to the end of September, up from £398.2m in 2011.Follow @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...