Mars UK to enforce 'calorie cap' across chocolate lines
Mars UK is embarking on a major calorie-reduction programme to bring the products in its chocolate range down to 250 calories or less.
Mars: wants fewer than 250 calories in each bar
While several of its bars already fall within this range, the Mars and Snickers bars, at 260 and 296 calories respectively, will be affected by the initiative.
Two-finger bars such as Bounty and Twix are likely to be defined as a double serving to meet the commitment.
A spokesman for Mars said: "All our products can be enjoyed as part of a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet. Our commitment to making all our chocolate products no more than 250 calories per portion reflects this."
It is unclear whether this will be achieved by reformulation, smaller products or a combination of the two.
Late last year, Health Secretary Andrew Lansley unveiled plans to take five billion calories from the nation's daily diet by 2020.
The Public Health Responsibility Deal, launched a year ago next month, has turned its focus on calorie reduction; it is rumoured that a pledge on this matter is being drawn up.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...