Nintendo drops celebrities for Wii U launch campaign
Nintendo is dropping celebrities from its advertising, as part of the launch of its Wii U video-game console.
The UK launch campaign for the product will match the brand’s investment in the unveiling of its first Wii console seven years ago.
Nintendo will also run a multimillion-pound campaign for its handheld 3DS XL device, as the business looks to return to profitability.
In April, it reported its first annual loss, as it struggled to cope with the rising popularity of gaming on mobile devices, and a long period without a home video-game console launch.
Nintendo’s UK marketing and PR director Shelly Pearce told Marketing that the brand will launch a standalone Wii U brand channel on YouTube, to act as a ‘central hub’, allowing consumers to upload their own videos.
Pre-Christmas activity will focus on hardcore gamers, before the focus switches to target a wider family audience in the New Year.
Experiential will comprise 20% of media spend, in an attempt to get Nintendo products ‘into people’s hands’.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London