Apple expected to launch 'cheap' iPhone this year
Apple is reportedly developing a lower-end iPhone to strengthen its loosening stranglehold on the smartphone market, as a result of the rise of rival Samsung.
Apple: reportedly developing a cheaper version of the iPhone
The Wall Street Journal reports that a less expensive version of Apple's flagship device could reach market later this year, with the brand having considered launching a cheaper phone since 2009.
The news comes as Samsung rapidly erodes Apple’s lead in the UK smartphone market after a period of "tremendous growth", according to data from comScore.
Samsung doubled its market share from 11.2% to 24% during the three months ending October 2012 and is closing the gap on Apple, which has a 28% market share.
The "cheaper" handset will reportedly resemble a standard iPhone with a different, less-expensive body, with plastic being considered for the outer shell, rather than aluminium.
Under Steve Jobs, Apple persevered with a single flagship device for its phone and tablet offering, but the company is now beginning to shift its strategy under the stewardship of new chief executive Tim Cook.
The California-based tech firm now offers a miniature version of its tablet device, after launching the iPad mini in November 2012.
However, some analysts speculate that Apple risks cannibalising its own sales because it no longer staggers its product launches sufficiently.
Last year, Apple rolled out a fourth large iPad, the iPad mini, a new iPhone, a new iPod touch range and an updated version of the Macintosh and iMac.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London