Facebook launches Graph Search and injects search into social
So Facebook's big and much speculated announcement isn't a search engine to rival Google as such, but it does involve search, as last night it took the covers off what the company is calling "Graph Search".
Mark Zuckerberg: Facebook chief executive at the launch of Graph Search
Facebook wants to introduce the essence of social networking to search.
What it doesn't do is challenge Google's control of the search engine market and the huge revenue stream that represents.
What Facebook announced, at its press conference at its Menlo Park headquarters, is something called Facebook Graph Search. It will allow users to search their network for photos, people, interests and places.
Chief executive Mark Zuckerberg said Facebook Graph Search was the third pillar of Facebook.
He said: "We have the social network, now we can truly search it."
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)