Former BlackBerry boss sells off his entire stake in the company
Shares in BlackBerry fell last night as former co-chief executive officer, Jim Balsillie, sold off his sizeable stake in the company just weeks after the troubled mobile firm launched its big comeback.
New smartphone: the BlackBerry Z10
Balsillie held 26.8 million shares in BlackBerry, formerly Research in Motion, after he stepped down stepped down as CEO a year ago, when he was replaced by Thorsten Heins.
The news sent shares in BlackBerry down 3.4% to $13.52 (£8.71) in early trading on the Nasdaq. Shares in the Canadian firm also fell in Toronto by 3.5% to C$13.51 (£8.69).
The dumping of such a large stake by Balsillie, who was one of the largest individual shareholders in BlackBerry, is unlikely to inspire confidence in the firm that badly needs its new BlackBerry 10 operating system and Z10 phone to be a hit.
Balsillie had run BlackBerry with fellow former co-CEO Mike Lazaridis who is still at the company as vice-chairman. The pair stepped aside for Heins after shareholder criticism over the future direction of the company.
Some have praised the BlackBerry's new Z10 smartphone, which has received mixed reviews, but it faces a tough battle as it attempts to take on Apple and Samsung.Follow @gordonmacmillan
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)