Tesco poaches Facebook and Sainsbury's execs for Blinkbox task
Tesco has poached Facebook head of retail Gavin Sathianathan and Sainsbury's head of digital and cross channel Mark Bennett, to Blinkbox's books and music offering.
Gavin Sathianathan: joins Tesco's Blinkbox from Facebook
Sathianathan joins from Facebook's EMEA unit in order to become the managing director of Blinkboxbooks, the ebook service that was born out of Tesco's acquisition of Mobcast in September.
During his time at Facebook, Sathianathan was tasked with leading the network’s adoption by the retail industry.
Sathianathan said: "Technology is changing how people read. Offering a digital book service is an example of what Tesco does best – focusing on the customer and anticipating their needs as the market evolves."
Meanwhile, former HMV and EMI employee Bennett has been appointed as managing director of Tesco’s online music-streaming service, which is being rebranded from We7 to Blinboxmusic.
Tesco has not revealed a launch date for either of the rebranded services, but claims both are scheduled to roll out later in the year.
Scott Deutrom, Blinkbox’s current director of advertising and sponsorship, is being appointed managing director of Tesco's recently announced Clubcard TV, a free ad-supported movie and TV service currently being tested with Tesco staff.
The new digital entertainment services will be run as separate entities from Blinkbox, the movie and TV streaming service that Tesco acquired in 2011.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Digital Executive Innesco £20k-26k, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)