As The Sun announces paywall plans, will people pay?
News International has followed The Telegraph and announced plans to introduce a paywall at The Sun in the second half of 2013.
The Sun: plans to charge for its online content later this year
The dribble of newspapers asking their readers to pay for online content on either side of the Atlantic has turned into something of a rush of late.
Yesterday evening, the Telegraph followed The Washington Post, as both have followed The New York Times' metered model, and said it was to erect a paywall. News International swiftly followed that with an announcement of its own, as it revealed plans to charge for The Sun later this year.
The question is – will people pay for a tabloid newspaper online? It is a question we will find out the answer to soon enough.
Mike Darcey, chief executive of News International said last night that "the second half of 2013 is a fairly safe bet" for the introduction of a tabloid paywall.
A paywall at The Sun will have the tabloid joining its stablemate The Times in asking readers to pay for content. It will be a big shift for The Sun's 30 million monthly users and will likely create ripples in the market. You have to wonder if the oft-mentioned paywall plans of Trinity Mirror for its Daily Mirror tabloid will now swing into action.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- European Marketing Communications Manager Ninesharp £35 - £40 per hour, North West England