As The Sun announces paywall plans, will people pay?
News International has followed The Telegraph and announced plans to introduce a paywall at The Sun in the second half of 2013.
The Sun: plans to charge for its online content later this year
The dribble of newspapers asking their readers to pay for online content on either side of the Atlantic has turned into something of a rush of late.
Yesterday evening, the Telegraph followed The Washington Post, as both have followed The New York Times' metered model, and said it was to erect a paywall. News International swiftly followed that with an announcement of its own, as it revealed plans to charge for The Sun later this year.
The question is – will people pay for a tabloid newspaper online? It is a question we will find out the answer to soon enough.
Mike Darcey, chief executive of News International said last night that "the second half of 2013 is a fairly safe bet" for the introduction of a tabloid paywall.
A paywall at The Sun will have the tabloid joining its stablemate The Times in asking readers to pay for content. It will be a big shift for The Sun's 30 million monthly users and will likely create ripples in the market. You have to wonder if the oft-mentioned paywall plans of Trinity Mirror for its Daily Mirror tabloid will now swing into action.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)