Twitter steps up ads in mobile app
Twitter is starting to insert its ad products into its mobile users' timelines for the first time.
Twitter: stepping up mobile ads
Unlike Facebook, Twitter already has begun monetising its mobile service, serving promoted tweets in search and promoted trends.
However, the ads will now gradually appear in timelines for a small number of users, rather than the top of the stream. They will be clearly marked as promoted, but can appear from brands which a user is not necessarily following.
The micro-blogging site began inserting ads into users' timelines for the desktop version in September last year.
The news comes as Facebook is widely expected to announce mobile ad solutions for its app later today at its inaugural Facebook Marketers Conference in New York.
Both companies have been cautious about rolling out ads to mobile users, as not to distract from the user experience.
The announcement comes at a time when the mobile ad market is seeing significant change, with Google’s AdMob changing the way it runs mobile display auctions and Apple’s iAd slashing its prices.
Facebook’s entrance to the mobile ad market will create greater competition for Google and Apple.
Microsoft is also redoubling its mobile advertising efforts in the UK, recently announcing that it would be selling inventory for internet voice and video calling service Skype.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...