News Corp board expresses 'full confidence' in Rupert Murdoch
News Corporation board members have issued an "unanimous statement of support" for Rupert Murdoch, their embattled chief executive and chairman.
Rupert Murdoch: News Corp board backs their chief
The 81-year-old media mogul, under fire from some politicians and rival media owners for News International's newspaper practices in the UK, received the vote of confidence from all directors convened on an impromptu telephone call last night.
The ensuing statement read: "The board of directors of News Corporation met today and announced its full confidence in Rupert Murdoch's fitness and support for his continuing to lead News Corporation into the future as its chairman and CEO.
"The board based its vote of confidence on Rupert Murdoch's vision and leadership in building News Corporation, his ongoing performance as chairman and CEO, and his demonstrated resolve to address the mistakes of the company identified in the Select Committee's report."
The support follows Murdoch being declared "not fit" to have "stewardship of a major international company", by a group of MPs sitting on a Parliamentary Select Committee on Tuesday (1 May).
The MPs inflammatory statement came amid an ongoing investigation by regulator Ofcom about whether satellite broadcaster BSkyB was "fit and proper" to hold a broadcasting licence due to News Corp’s 39% stake.
Its inclusion in the Select Committee report forced four Conservative members, out of a group of 10 MPs, to withdraw support for its findings.
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...