EBay returns to TV after five-year break
Internet auction site eBay will tomorrow (1 March) launch its first TV campaign since 2007, developed by DDB Tribal Germany and focusing on new as well as used goods.
EBay: launches first TV campaign in five years
Using the tagline, "EBay: your shopping universe", ads will showcase the site as a one-stop-shop to find more than 30 million items for sale at any one time, and will run throughout March. EBay would not reveal the value of the campaign.
EBay claims 60% of its sales are not auctions, but new items bought at a fixed price. The UK had more active users in 2011 than anywhere else, with 17 million people shopping regularly.
Twenty- and 30-second ads feature a young man travelling through a succession of rooms to the tune of Donovan's 'Sunshine Superman', picking up and trying on products, with each room representing the most popular categories on eBay.co.uk.
In the final shot, the man steps in to a vintage VW Beetle convertible, to demonstrate how eBay is still somewhere to find rare items.
Alex Von Schirmeister, eBay's vice-president of marketing for Europe, said: "In the past few years, eBay has changed. It's now a destination to buy the latest laptops and smartphones, high-street fashion, even brand new car parts.
"The investment in this campaign will ensure that our retail partners, as well as the 180,000 smaller business sellers on our site continue to enjoy strong growth opportunities."
While eBay has run outdoor and print campaigns for the past two winter seasons, the TV message has evolved since 2007, when the tagline was 'Buy it, sell it, love it'.
The campaign will run during March on all major channels during peak-time viewing, launching with spots in 'Location, Location, Location' on Channel 4, 'The Mentalist' on 5*, and 'Criminal Minds' on Sky Living.
Earlier this week, eBay secured a deal with Three.co.uk at the Barcelona Mobile World Congress to boost its mobile arm.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...