My Secret Work Weapon: Make friends with finance and 'marry' technology
Katie Vanneck-Smith, chief marketing officer at News International, on her strategy for success.
Katie Vanneck-Smith: chief marketing officer at News International
Often marketers are too externally focused, in terms of worrying about the world of brands and external customers and distribution and partners they sell through.
My secret work weapon is balancing that with building the right relationships internally.
Until about three years ago, my strapline was simply "Make friends with finance". The people in your finance department are the ones who can help you prove to your chief executive the return on the marketing investment – and there are more chief executives from a finance background than a marketing one.
Now, with the rise of social and digital, and all the opportunities that offers, we are officially in the era of marketing married to the technology department.
So, put as much time and energy into relationships you build at work as with the relationships you build with your customers.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...