Entertainment: Cover-up boosts Shakespeare attractions
Shakespeare Birthplace Trust brought in Willoughby PR ahead of the launch of Anonymous, a film claiming that William Shakespeare had not written any of the plays attributed to him.
Stunt: cover-up boosts Shakespeare attractions
Campaign: The Great Shakespeare Cover-up
Client: Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
PR team: Willoughby PR
Timescale: October 2011
- To use the launch of Anonymous to engage with people who have shown an interest in Shakespeare
- To bring Shakespeare and the trust to the fore of popular culture, encouraging debate.
STRATGEY AND PLAN
The team visualised a world without Shakespeare. This included getting 45 pubs in the UK named after the Bard to cover up their signs 'in protest', while road signs mentioning him were also covered.
Ahead of the film's premiere, the stunt was sold in to national broadcast journalists, who were invited to visit a Shakespearean expert at the trust on launch day, when the world-famous Gower Memorial statue in Stratford was covered with a white sheet.
MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION
Coverage included a live broadcast by BBC Breakfast, as well as CNN and Russia NTV. The story featured 224 times during five days across UK regional and national print, radio, TV and online.
In 2011, visitor numbers to birthplace properties rose by 41,477 compared with 2010.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...