My Secret Work Weapon: Show no fear when it comes to change - it's inevitable
I have a mantra that my father told me when I was a child: 'Embrace change, because it's coming anyway.'
Jan Gooding, Global marketing director, Aviva
At the time, I was startled by it, because when you're little, continuity is incredibly important to you.
I was nine and we lived in the Tropics; he said it was because our house had been struck by lightning and burned down, which was shattering to a nine-year-old.
I've found it an incredibly helpful mantra because understanding the inevitability, as well as the positive nature, of change - if you can see it as a natural part of life, ride the wave of it and not be afraid - is a grounding thought.
Brands are all about consistency, but underneath that, there is evolution. It makes me feel settled about the changing economic position, attitude of customers, media and competitor sets and to think constructively about the future.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...