Global: Focus on ... Chile
Urban/rural split: 86.9%/13.1%
Capital city: Santiago
Monetary unit: Peso (Chdollars)
Age breakdown: 0-29, 48.5%; 30-59, 38.7%; 60+, 12.8%
In March 1990, Chile ended General Pinochet's 17-year dictatorship and elected a government which rapidly set about liberalising its economy.
GDP has grown by an average of four per cent every year since 1999. Yet the Chilean PR industry is struggling to establish itself.
The state owned television network, Television Nacional de Chile, is self-financed by commercial advertising, so is not under government control. The print media sector is buoyant. More than half of the country's households have internet connections, and more than half of the population is on Facebook.
Chile's economy is based on the export of minerals. It is the world's largest producer of copper. While companies in the extractive industry are usually strong on CSR and public affairs, they are not noted for large-scale consumer campaigns.
"A few years ago, PR was only for people who could afford a sustained campaign; now they have social media" - Steven Adler Commercial director, Mi Tiempo Touch.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...