Brand Manager of the Week: Ben Hitchcock
Head of marketing, Everest Home Improvements
Describe yourself in three words.
Dynamic, commercial, commercial.
What would you be if you weren't a brand manager?
Professional tennis player. Ranked at least in the top one would be good.
What advice would you give someone starting their marketing career today?
The best advice given to me was 'think like an owner'. It keeps you focused on the customer and commercial - it's so easy for marketing people to get carried away with the big idea.
What attracted you to your current job?
The opportunities for the brand. Being part of a team that can make a difference is exciting.
What is your favourite ever marketing campaign?
Christmas starts only when those Coca-Cola lorries head over the horizon.
What is your all-time favourite slogan?
I hope the person who came up with 'Simples' got a hefty pay rise.
What hobbies do you have?
I like running and photography, but I never get enough time to do either.
If you weren't you, who would you be?
I quite like being me, but if you said I absolutely had to be prime minister, then I suppose I'd give it a go.
What is your favourite pub?
We once went to the original Cheers pub in Boston. It was St Patrick's Day and they were serving green beer. I'm not sure it was my favourite pub, but it was memorable.
What's your favourite holiday destination?
New England for the lifestyle and Florida for the roller coasters.
If you had three wishes, what would they be?
The ability to be in more than one place at the same time, to have more time in the day and for the M25 roadworks to be finished.
What have been your best and worst freebies?
I can't be bothered with that stuff. Marketing teams waste so much time fielding cold calls from prospective suppliers and agencies - I wish they'd just let their work speak for itself.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...