Healthcare: On the Agenda - Study redefines breast cancer
In a nutshell
A study variously described as 'landmark' and a research 'holy grail' has uncovered the triggers for breast cancer, showing that it springs from ten separate diseases. The journal Nature's findings could pave the way for a vastly refined system of treatment, where drugs are matched to specific cancers.
About the research
The study, conducted by Cambridge Research Institute, analysed tumours from 2,000 women in the UK and Canada. In what was dubbed a completely new way of looking at cancer, researchers uncovered what was happening in the tumours on a genetic level and grouped their results into ten categories.
Cancer Research UK, which co-funded the research, held a press conference at which its chief executive Dr Harpal Kumar spoke alongside lead researcher professor Carlos Caldas. The pair were also filmed, with the resulting video picked up by social media channels and Canadian press, while both men were put forward for interview. Patient case studies were made available, as were the video, a Q&A section and a blog.
Around 400 pieces of coverage were generated online. These included front pages of The Daily Telegraph, Metro, The Independent and pieces inside all other major national papers, as well as BBC broadcast coverage, items on Channel 4, ITV, Sky, Reuters and international media.
1,000 - Number of UK women who die of breast cancer per month*
50% - Rise in diagnoses in Britain in the past 30 years*.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...