Voluntary Sector: Greenpeace video goes down a storm
Greenpeace was concerned about lobbying by Volkswagen against greenhouse gas reductions in Europe. When VW launched a Star Wars-themed ad campaign last year, the charity spotted an opportunity to take its concerns to a wider audience.
Join the rebellion: Greenpeace campaign
Campaign: Join the Rebellion
PR team: In-house
Timeline: April-November 2011
- To highlight VW's objections to greenhouse gas reduction targets
- To gain signatures for a petition urging VW to change its environmental policies.
Strategy and plan
Greenpeace decided to piggyback on the success of VW's ad and reach the same 35- to 45-year-old demographic through social media, particularly YouTube. It created a video parody of the VW ad and launched it by holding a stunt in Old Street, known for having a high concentration of Tweeters and creative and PR agencies. It took over prominent billboards and had Star Wars stormtroopers wandering the streets.
Measurement and evaluation
The campaign ranked third on Twitter's top ten trend list when the parody film was released. Seven per cent of 2,000 respondents to PRWeek/OnePoll's Reputation Survey were aware of Greenpeace's campaign, but of these 60 per cent said they now trusted VW less as a brand.
The campaign attracted 330,000 signatures, the most for any Greenpeace campaign.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £30000 - £36000 per annum, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...