My secret work weapon: Music gets me in the right frame of mind for meetings
Guy North, marketing communications director, Freeview
It's my iPod, and having a song for every occasion on it. I have to play lots of roles in my position.
With the Freeview team I have to be a leader and a source of inspiration, sometimes calming and reassuring; with the board and shareholders, I need to be influential and strategic; with agencies I must be creative, and so on.
It means that I need to be quite different in my mood and focus from one meeting to the next. I find it incredibly helpful to listen to a particular track that gets me into that mentality.
I've always used music in this way - it comes from playing a lot of sport - and I like to reflect before going to a big meeting.
If I want to get fired up, I'd listen to, for example, Something Better Change by The Stranglers. If I need to be upbeat, then it would be something like Have a Nice Day by Stereophonics, or if I need inspiration, The Impossible Dream by Andy Williams. I have eclectic taste.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...