Campaigns: Sport - Leicester Games prove to be Special
Campaign: 2009 Special Olympics GB National Summer Games
Client: Leicester City Council
PR team: Lexis Sport and Entertainment
Timescale: July 2008-July 2009
Budget: Less than £100,000
Held every four years, Special Olympics GB National Summer Games gives athletes across Britain with learning disabilities the opportunity to take part in a week of Olympic-style sports competition.
- To drive awareness of the Games in Leicester
- To use the event as an opportunity to showcase the regeneration programme taking place in Leicester.
Strategy and plan
National and regional ambassadors were appointed to drive awareness of the event. Lexis Sport created a range of assets including a Games mascot, official countdown events, promotion of volunteering opportunities, a torch relay and a spokesperson's programme involving the athletes. A digital media campaign was also launched to present a channel for learning-disabled athletes to communicate with one another in the build-up to the Games. Regional partners included Highcross Leicester, Leicester Tigers RFC and Leicester City FC.
Measurement and evaluation
The year-long campaign generated 55 pieces of national coverage and a continuous stream of regional coverage.
The National Summer Games was the largest to date, with 12,000 people attending.
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...