My secret work weapon: Acting experience can help avoid amateur dramatics in business
My secret work weapon is the experience I gained acting on stage and in films when I was younger.
Dominic Grounsell, Personal marketing director, RSA Insurance Group.
From the age of three to 17, I was heavily involved in the world of performing arts and picked up several skills that have come in handy during my career as a marketer.
Performing on stage provided important early training for corporate presentations and conference speeches. I still find myself flashing back to waiting in the wings whenever I'm due to stand up and speak. Similarly, long hours spent learning scripts have helped when it comes to retaining the volume of information you need to absorb as a marketer these days.
Lastly, experiencing awkward moments when things went wrong during live performances has enabled me to think on my feet. Whether it's on a stage, a film set or during a meeting, something can always go wrong, and being able to get through those times gracefully is as useful in business as it is for an actor.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...