Wonga branches out into online shopping loans
Wonga has partnered with furniture retailer Cotswold to launch a new service, which does not carry the Wonga name, that allows shoppers to borrow money for one-off online purchases.
Cotswold: furniture retailer introduces Wonga's PayLater service
The service is called PayLater and allows the purchaser to pay off the cost of the item over 101 days, through an initial transaction fee followed by three subsequent payments. The branding of the service is similar to Wonga's, although the Wonga name is not referenced, except in the small print.
The annual percentage rate (APR) on Wonga's PayLater service is 27.7%, a significantly smaller amount than the 4,214% APR on its payday loan offering.
However, the PayLater service is across a three-month period, compared to the payday loan's maximum 30-day period.
Cotswold is the only retailer that has signed up so far in a low-key launch of the service, but a Wonga spokesman told Marketing, "We will start making more noise as we ramp up the number of partnerships."
The spokesman dismissed concerns that retailers would be put off by the brand's controversial image.
He said: "I think for a product that is as innovative as this and that provides a genuine controlled alternative to other forms of payment, there’s going to be lots of interest in the market."
Wonga is not commenting on whether the PayLater service would be offered to Newcastle fans as a way of paying for season tickets, after Wonga signed up as sponsor of the football club, which has Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley as its chairman.
The launch of the service comes as Wonga pursues a strategy of product diversification through the launch of new products, including its 'Wonga for business' service, and start-up businesses in other countries including South Africa.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...