After Tiger and Rory, five sports star advertising howlers
Nike caused a stir this week with an ad campaign featuring its newly signed brand ambassador Rory Mcllroy sparring with Ryder Cup rival Tiger Woods.
Rory McIlroy: no cup is safe by Wieden & Kennedy Portland
The 30-and 60-second clips show the golfing stars engaged in a game of one-upmanship at the driving range.
The ad, by Wieden & Kennedy Portland, has split opinion, with some believing it has helped to rehabilitate the Woods brand. However, critics believe the ad does not paint the two golfing stars in the best light.
Dominic Curran, deputy managing director of Synergy, believes for ads with sport stars to work, like all successful ad campaigns, they need to have "authenticity and relevance". They must also need to "capture the rights mood at the right time".
After sounding out opinion from the UK's top sports marketing agencies, Marketing charts five of the worst ads starring heroes from the sporting world.
Tom Daley - Nestle
Figo - Just For Men
Ronaldo - Suzuki
Pele (voiced by Peter Serafinowicz) - Viagra
Stuart Pearce, Chris Waddle - Pizza Hut
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...