My Secret Work Weapon: Treat consumers as you would treat your friends
Patrick Venning, Marketing director, Pernod Ricard UK, on his strategy for success.
When thinking about the relationship between our brands and consumers, my secret weapon is to draw parallels with our relationships; the quality, frequency and style with which we communicate with friends and family.
We generally know the boundaries and etiquettes we employ in everyday relationships, but we need to think about those with our brands as well. We need to make sure we're a good listener and respect other people's time.
So, for example, in social media we've been invited to Facebook and Twitter by consumers; they've allowed us into their personal space. Producing an overabundance of tweets and posts isn't respecting that relationship.
Sampling provides another example; in bars you don't have permission to invade people's space, so getting permission is the most important thing, and we train our field staff to ask questions politely.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...