Facebook to broadcast more live FA Cup matches next season
Facebook is to increase the number of live FA Cup matches it streams during next year's competition, following the success of the first-ever streaming of a match this year.
FA Cup: Facebook signs up to broadcast more matches
Last year marked the occasion that an FA Cup match had been streamed live on the social network. FA Cup sponsor Budweiser brokered the deal with non-league teams Ascot United and Wembley FC.
The live stream was available via an application built into the US brewer's US Facebook page. Around 30,000 people viewed the live stream of the game while 1,149 people turned up to watch the game live.
According to sources, Budweiser is in discussions with The Football Association (FA) over streaming up to five preliminary round games in next year's competition.
The FA has an existing broadcast relationship with ITV and ESPN for next year's competition and those matches in the later stages of the Cup are exclusive to those channels.
Budweiser’s sponsorship of the FA Cup has given the competition a more international feel and, unlike with previous sponsors, has been toured around the globe.
Previous sponsors of the English football competition, such as E.ON and Littlewoods, have primarily concentrated their marketing around the tournament in the UK .
Budweiser’s sponsorship of the FA Cup was announced in the summer of last year and is thought to be worth around £8m a year.
The FA, commenting on the possibility of streaming more matches in next year's competition, said: "It certainly could be repeated" and there was an appetite for it. Budweiser was unavailable for comment.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...