Yahoo tipped to name PayPal boss as new chief
Yahoo is poised to replace former chief executive Carol Bartz, with eBay's PayPal president Scott Thompson named as lead contender, according to AllThingsD.
Yahoo: tipped to name new chief
The Dow Jones-owned tech news title has cited sources close to the company and reported that PayPal's president Scott Thompson is in line for the chief executive role, with an announcement due as early as this afternoon (GMT).
Thompson joined the payments company PayPal in 2005 as senior vice president and chief technology officer, before being promoted to president of the company in 2008.
During his time as President, PayPal's rapid expansion has been closely tethered to eBay's overall growth.
Prior to PayPal Thompson held senior technology positions at Inovat, a subsidiary of payments company Visa, and Barclays Global Investors.
Yahoo is currently undergoing a strategic review, after the high-profile sacking of chief executive Carol Bartz in September last year.
The expected announcement comes amid takeover speculation, with the likes of Alibaba, Microsoft, Google, and Silver Lake all reported to have expressed an interest in buying Yahoo.
In its most recent financial results, Yahoo reported a 25% drop in profits year-on-year to $298m for the third quarter of 2011.
Yahoo underwent a sales restructure in the UK last year, with the aim to deliver more creative opportunities for advertisers.
Yahoo declined to comment.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...