Yahoo tipped to name PayPal boss as new chief
Yahoo is poised to replace former chief executive Carol Bartz, with eBay's PayPal president Scott Thompson named as lead contender, according to AllThingsD.
Yahoo: tipped to name new chief
The Dow Jones-owned tech news title has cited sources close to the company and reported that PayPal's president Scott Thompson is in line for the chief executive role, with an announcement due as early as this afternoon (GMT).
Thompson joined the payments company PayPal in 2005 as senior vice president and chief technology officer, before being promoted to president of the company in 2008.
During his time as President, PayPal's rapid expansion has been closely tethered to eBay's overall growth.
Prior to PayPal Thompson held senior technology positions at Inovat, a subsidiary of payments company Visa, and Barclays Global Investors.
Yahoo is currently undergoing a strategic review, after the high-profile sacking of chief executive Carol Bartz in September last year.
The expected announcement comes amid takeover speculation, with the likes of Alibaba, Microsoft, Google, and Silver Lake all reported to have expressed an interest in buying Yahoo.
In its most recent financial results, Yahoo reported a 25% drop in profits year-on-year to $298m for the third quarter of 2011.
Yahoo underwent a sales restructure in the UK last year, with the aim to deliver more creative opportunities for advertisers.
Yahoo declined to comment.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire