Back in black
Five of this year's black Pencil winners at the D&AD Awards have social conscience at their core, from a sustainable lamp to a robot that signs a petition to support sufferers of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
An attendee’s view
There’s a brutish, all-too-familiar thumpity-thump in my head the morning after. NV fizz mixed with something white, something red, something worryingly purple.
Campaign asked me to write about last week’s D&AD Awards, before telling me that it had to be done the next morning. So, not wishing to disappoint, I took along my A4 pad to make notes. So, with that in mind, I attempted to decode my scrawl.
"No comedian to bite the hand that feeds. Zzzzz."
"Tim Lindsay looks like Paul McGann with Van Damme’s chin."
"WTF is Ayrton Senna thing all about?" is smeared with the main course of beef plimsoll. Black Pencil.
And, on another page, the word "SCAM" is biro-chiselled and still visible under the – what is that exactly – beetroot? Blood?
"VS Train posters, beautiful and brilliant." Black Pencil.
Then our BITC skip ad got beaten by some utter chip-shoppery. Just one word here: "Fuckhammers."
Ah. Harvey Nicks. A brand close to my heart. Just when it was looking a tad last season, it has struck yellow with "sorry, I spent it on myself". The in-store product ideas accessorise this into must-have advertising. Yellow Pencil.
And the "SCAM"? Oh yes.
The IBM posters. Made for juries. French work. French city. English copy. Zut alors!
Another boozy doodle: "r we juging actual idea or entry flm?" For me, the award for best entry film went to Droga5, "recalling 1993". The award for best actual idea went to Nineteen Eighty-Four book cover. Yellow Pencils all round.
"Too many issues, too few brands." I learned that war/paedophilia/torture are bad things. They win lots of awards, though.
"Alex Taylor – President’s Award. Ace. Love her. Fierce and fabulous."
Overall, one great, some good, some decidedly average. Great entry films beat great ideas every time. But worth feeling this shabby for? The jury is out.
Adam Tucker is a creative director at Leo Burnett
For more D&AD features, visit campaignlive.co.uk/go/dandad
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)