Dotty Bingo 'rabbit' ad in watershed controversy
Dotty Bingo's "rabbit" TV launch campaign ad has been restricted to appear after 9pm having been dubbed too risqué for daytime slots.
Dotty Bingo: launch ad features actor Ewen Macintosh in pink rabbit costume
The 30-second ad stars 'The Office' actor Ewen Macintosh dressed as a pink rabbit, in one of four spots promoting the online bingo site.
The campaign features Dorothy, a bingo-playing 'Hyacinth Bouquet'-style character and her husband Brian, in a series of excruciating comic sketches.
In the bunny sketch, having sought advice from her friends at Dotty Bingo about how to spice things up in the bedroom, Dorothy confides that she’s trying "a rabbit", before Brian appears from the en-suite, wearing the pink fluffy outfit.
Craig Perrott, bingo manager at Dotty Bingo, said: "There’s just no predicting how [broadcast advertising vetting body] Clearcast will react these days. They allowed us to air an ad which includes the phrase ‘deep throat’ in daytime, but showing the less than Greek god-like Ewen in a rabbit suit before 9pm is a no-no."
The ad – which will appear on ITV, C4, 5, and Sky – was created by ABF Pictures with media planning from TRT Direct. The copywriter and director is Matt Barraclough.
It is one of four ads forming the campaign – with "ketchup" yet to be released, "deep throat" having launched on 22 May, and "workout", which launched on 15 May.
Clearcast declined to comment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)