Former Y&R chief Ed Ney dies aged 88
Edward "Ed" Noonan Ney, the former chief executive and chairman of Y&R and US ambassador to Canada, has died aged 88.
Ed Ney: former chief executive and chairman of Y&R
After joining &Y&R in 1951, Ney was the chief executive of the network, which is now part of WPP, and then chairman between 1970 and 1989. He returned to Y&R as its chairman in 1999.
In the 1970s, Ney was responsible for developing the idea of integrated communications, what he called 'The Whole Egg', and buying up companies to form the Young & Rubicam Group.
After Y&R, Ney was appointed the US ambassador to Canada, working to expand the free trade agreement between the US and Canada, to Mexico. He also chaired the board of advisers at Burson-Marsteller.
Martin Sorrell, the chief executive of WPP, said: "Ed understood, probably more than anybody else, both the power of agency brands and, at the same time, the paradoxical need to bring them together.
"Y&R itself, Wunderman, Burson-Marsteller, Cohn & Wolfe, Sudler & Hennesey, Landor, amongst others all exemplify the strength and need for 'The Whole Egg' approach. He understood it all and saw it sooner than most."
Ney is survived by his wife, Patricia Murray Wood, three children from a previous marriage, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...