From Michael Jackson to Superbowl via SpaceJam: is Joe Pytka the world's best director?
Campaign takes a look at some of the work of the director Joe Pytka, following the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity awarding him the Lion of St Mark.
Michael Jackson: 'The Way You Make Me Feel' directed by Joe Pytka
In his 33-year career, he has directed ads for brands including Nike, IBM and Pepsi, as well as music videos and feature films. Read a full interview with Pytka in Campaign tomorrow.
Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1938, Pytka entered the film world while still in college, slowly moving up the ladder from editor and animator, all the way up to director.
He has cited influences such as the American directors John Ford and Howard Hawks, and European directors Francois Truffaut, Jean-Luc Godard and Frederico Fellini.
Pytka feels that it was his background in painting that drew him to the formality of commercials.
He has also stated that he preferred to read scripts before brands "got their hands on them. That way you can read the original creativity before it is affected by the opinions and requirements of the clients."
Below you can find a sampling of some of his best work over the years including his personal favourite, a music video he did for the Beatles entitled 'Free As A Bird.'
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)