Paddy Power 'mass debater' ad cleared by ad watchdog
Paddy Power's "mass debater" ad that was published ahead of the TV debates between Nigel Farage and Nick Clegg has escaped censure, despite claims its allusions to masturbation were offensive.
Paddy Power: 'mass debater' ad cleared by ad watchdog
The ad appeared in the Metro and was created by Lucky Generals. It featured the copy, "WHO'S THE BEST MASS DEBATER? CLEGG 6/4 FARAGE 1/2 ..." alongside photos of Clegg and Farage with suggestive facial expressions.
Two people challenged whether the ad was offence, given that they understood it alluded to masturbation.
In Paddy Power’s response it said that although the ad made use of a double entendre, it was "light hearted and tongue-in-cheek" and intended to generate interest in a humorous and irreverent way.
Paddy Power said it regretted the fact that two readers had been offended but said, from the number of complaints, widespread offence had not been caused.
The Advertising Standards Authority said that although some readers might not share Paddy Power’s humour and find the ad to be disrespectful, the ad appeared in a newspaper aimed at adults in the context of the TV debates between the two men.
The ASA, therefore, found that given the context in which it appeared, the ad was unlikely to cause offence to a serious or widespread degree.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)