Paddy Power 'mass debater' ad cleared by ad watchdog
Paddy Power's "mass debater" ad that was published ahead of the TV debates between Nigel Farage and Nick Clegg has escaped censure, despite claims its allusions to masturbation were offensive.
Paddy Power: 'mass debater' ad cleared by ad watchdog
The ad appeared in the Metro and was created by Lucky Generals. It featured the copy, "WHO'S THE BEST MASS DEBATER? CLEGG 6/4 FARAGE 1/2 ..." alongside photos of Clegg and Farage with suggestive facial expressions.
Two people challenged whether the ad was offence, given that they understood it alluded to masturbation.
In Paddy Power’s response it said that although the ad made use of a double entendre, it was "light hearted and tongue-in-cheek" and intended to generate interest in a humorous and irreverent way.
Paddy Power said it regretted the fact that two readers had been offended but said, from the number of complaints, widespread offence had not been caused.
The Advertising Standards Authority said that although some readers might not share Paddy Power’s humour and find the ad to be disrespectful, the ad appeared in a newspaper aimed at adults in the context of the TV debates between the two men.
The ASA, therefore, found that given the context in which it appeared, the ad was unlikely to cause offence to a serious or widespread degree.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)