BuzzFeed's Will Hayward on native advertising and the future of lists
Will Hayward, vice-president, advertising at BuzzFeed, has given his views on native advertising and the future of listicles.
Will Hayward: vice-president of advertising at BuzzFeed
Speaking at Adobe's London Digital Marketing Summit, Hayward said "native advertising" could be a loaded term as it was seen as an example of the "blurring" of editorial and commercial.
He said: "Native is more about a trend of media companies working out they're going to have to work a lot harder for their ad dollars."
When asked about Buzzfeed's strategy of displaying many of its articles in list form Hayward said: "My CEO is very fond of talking about theTen Commandments; human beings have always loved formatting stuff in a list format.
"That said, clearly lists are de rigueur at the moment and everyone's enjoying them and sharing them loads. The one thing I would say about is if they do ever go out of fashion, BuzzFeed will be the first to notice."
Hayward said if that does happen Buzzfeed will continue "without the numbers".
Watch the full interview with Hayward above.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- Head of New Media Department for Work and Pensions Salary £60,030 to £72,880., Westminster
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, London (Greater)
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire