Belgium: Around the world, creative style
Geoffrey Hanston, executive creative director, Duval Guillaume talks to Campaign about creativity in the Belgium and shows us an image that illustrates the country's creativity at its best.
Work from René Magritte, surrealism, Belgitude. The origin of surrealism is to be found in Belgium. When you think about it, that’s actually quiet logic.
Belgium is not a real "country". It is rather a surreal patchwork of many different cultures. And languages. We speak Dutch. And French. And German. And English. However, we don’t speak "Belgian". So, although we never really speak the same language, we do have a common language: creativity. It is part of our national attitude, our Belgitude.
Politically, all those cultures in a country the size of a pinhead can create a lot of tension. Obviously. But, for advertising, it’s a truly great gift. It ensures that a Belgian campaign is always an international campaign. Our creative guys and girls are genetically programmed to think in universal ideas. There is no other way. If we can make the French, the Dutch and the Germans laugh, then it is very likely that we will make everybody laugh. Which is why Belgian work tends to please juries. Besides that, Belgium is a small market. Which means that we are used to dealing with small budgets. And small budgets are begging for big ideas.
In summary: little money, no national language and little sense of realism. Life can be cynical, but somehow those are the basic ingredients of why Belgium is a small country with big ideas.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)