Heineken postpones CNBC live broadcast after MH17 plane crash
Heineken has postponed a special three-hour live TV show on CNBC that was set to promote its new @wherenext service, in the aftermath of the MH17 plane disaster in Ukraine.
Heineken: postpones 'where next' campaign
A Malaysian Airlines passenger plane, which left from Heineken’s home country of the Netherlands, was apparently shot down over Eastern Ukraine on 17 July, resulting in 298 deaths.
The Heineken-sponsored programme City Limits: Live was set to air from 5pm-8pm Saturday 19 July, but has now been cancelled out of sensitivity to the victims and their families.
The show would have been broadcast live from Amsterdam, London and Madrid, hosted by presenters Rick Edwards and Kate Thornton.
It would have featured three reporters facing a series of challenges in the three cities, to demonstrate Heineken’s @wherenext Twitter tool, which launched last week and suggests where people should go on a night out based on real-time social media data.
The show is now planned to run later this year.
A Heineken spokesman said: "Due to the tragic incident of MH17 Malaysian Airlines on 17 July, Heineken and CNBC have taken the decision to postpone the live CNBC show City Limits Live on 19 July.
"The programme was due to broadcast from three European cities, including Amsterdam, celebrating the best things the cities have to offer.
"Both parties feel that given the news it would be inappropriate and insensitive to go ahead airing the show. We are aiming air the show later on this summer."
The programme was part of Heineken’s global 'Cities of the World' campaign, focusing on the nightlife and culture of individual cities around the world. It was going to be produced by Karl Newton, who has worked on This Morning and Daybreak.
The show was announced on CNBC’s website last week.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)