Thomas Cook reports £398m loss and closes 200 stores
Thomas Cook has confirmed it will close 200 underperforming outlets with the expected loss of more than 650 jobs as the holiday provider moves to turn around its ailing business after reporting a £398m loss.
Thomas Cook: plans to close 200 stores over the next two years
Thomas Cook today (14 December) reported the dramatic loss in the year to end of 30 September 2011, compared to £42m profit the year before.
The company has been hit by poor trading in the UK and the recent troubles in North Africa, which put tourists off travelling to popular destinations such as Tunisa and Egypt.
The group's results were hit by exceptional charges totalling £573m, which included write-downs in the value of its UK and Canadian business.
Thomas Cook said it will close 200 stores over the next two years, as part of its UK turnaround plans.
The troubled holiday provider had already said it expected to close 75 outlets following its merger with the Co-op's UK high street business. It will now close a further 125 over the next two years.
The £398m loss contrasts markedly with the relative health of arch rival Tui, which undertook a knocking press campaign, highlighting its competitor's woes.
In a further move to reduce costs, Thomas Cook has agreed to sell its 51% stake in Hoteles Y Clubs De Vacaciones (HCV) to Grupo Iberostar, in a deal which could net it £61m in cash.
The sale brings proceeds from Thomas Cook's £200m asset disposal programme up to around £120m, after earlier sales of hotel in Tenerife and Mexico.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Director of Strategy Factory Design Labs Depending on Qualifications, Valais