GSK sports nutrition brand ad banned for exaggerating health benefits
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has had an ad for its MaxiNutrition brand banned for exaggerating its health benefits.
The TV ad for the sports nutrition brand, which was created by CHI & Partners, was banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after it was revealed GSK’s claims did not follow the correct EU practices and exaggerated the product’s health benefits.
The TV ad showed people taking part in various sports, including boxing, with a voiceover stating: "MaxiNutrition helps provide your muscles with the proteins they need to recover, helping make you stronger and perform better. MaxiNutrition proteins aid muscle recovery. MaxiNutrition. You, stronger."
The voiceover was accompanied by an animation that depicted a muscle inside a boxer’s arm.
However, the ASA ruled that because not all of the MaxiNutrition products contained protein, the ad could be misleading to viewers.
The ASA also decided that since "helping make you stronger and perform better" did not appear on the list of authorised EU Registered health claims, and appeared alongside the images that showed successful performances, the ad exaggerated the benefits of the product.
Therefore, the ASA ruled that the ads must not appear in their current form again.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London