3 Great Ads Sally Abbott had nothing to do with
A commercial that doesn't feature the brand, a spot that has spawned a common catchphrase and a "deep story about parenting" are 3 great TV ads of all time that Sally Abbott, the global marketing director of Weetabix, admires but had nothing to do with.
Sally Abbott: Weetabix global marketing director
Her choices are the latest in a Brand Republic series, in association with Thinkbox.
The first, "Bottle", by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO and directed by Blink's Dougal Wilson for Heinz in 2009, is the oldest ad in Abbott's totally modern selection. By not ever showing the Heinz tomato ketchup it promotes, "it is a brilliant piece of branded advertising," Abbott said. "Building rituals, building activity that's unique to your brand, is very clever."
It's the comedy value of the long-running Specsavers campaign that puts "Should've gone to Specsavers" into Abbott's top three, represented by the 2011 iteration "Shuttle", that sees astronauts accidentally land at Luton airport. It's a formula, "but that's OK, still makes me laugh," Abbott said. "It's just a great line and it's commonly used affectionately by the British public."
Robinsons Drinks ad "Pals", aired this year and created by Bartle Bogle Hegarty with direction by Si & Ad of Academy Films, gets to the truth of childhood play, Abbott believes. Beautifully shot, the change in direction at the end of the ad took her by surprise. "On second viewing, I loved it more than ever," she said. "There's a deep story in there about parenting."
Hear Abbott talk about her selection and watch her 3 great ads here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire
- Marketing Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50K-70K + Benefits Package, Central London