Social Tracker: Tesco
Hardly a week goes by when Tesco isn't in the headlines. Whether generated by a spat with Sainsbury's or publicity-hungry figures, such as shadow immigration minister Chris Bryant, who know that Tesco-bashing makes for a good story, the retailer's profile is high.
This year, Tesco revamped its advertising following the hiring of Wieden & Kennedy. Its latest campaign, "Love every mouthful", is focused on food quality, a key issue for the supermarket following its involvement in the horsemeat scandal. Supporting the effort on its Facebook page are live Q&As with a variety of food experts.
Trying to develop a bit of a personality is its Tesco Mobile arm. A cheeky Twitter persona, using the handle @tescomobile, has been set up primarily to entertain and engage; customer-service enquiries, meanwhile, are handled by @TescoMobileCare.
While Tesco is the country’s biggest retailer, it’s certainly not the most-loved. A significant amount of chatter online features people vowing never to shop there.
(Click image to enlarge)
78% of comments regarding brand preference related to Tesco. Of these, 71% said they wouldn’t shop at Tesco. Additionally, a third (33%) of negative commentary on food quality at the supermarket related to experiences of buying spoilt food from the retailer.
43% of discussion concerning Sainsbury’s related to price. Of this, 75% was negative in tone, with frequent claims that certain products were not value for money. Recent media coverage of Sainsbury’s dispute with Tesco over its ‘Price Promise’ was a key trigger for price-related discussion.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Head of SEO Lipton Fleming £80000 - £90000.00 per annum, London
- SEO Manager - FMCG Account - Stand-Out Global Media Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Manager - top agency in Leeds Perfect Marketing People To £32K, Leeds